In this post, the Stonefire Apartments Blog is featuring a few tips to help you stick with your New Year’s resolutions this year. New Year’s resolutions are infamous for being abandoned early in the year. Prove the statistics wrong — only 14% to 39% of resolutions are actually reached — by using our tips to stick with your New Year’s resolution all year long.
- Pick a goal that matters. Dan Pink argues that external motivators don’t work as well as creating an environment that fosters intrinsic motivation. The easiest way to ensure that you will reach your goal is to pick a goal that you really care about. Don’t set a goal because of or for other people; set a goal that you are excited about accomplishing.
- Record and celebrate your progress. The Harvard Business Review writes that even small victories can do a lot to keep motivation up. Remember to keep your mood up and celebrate the small accomplishments that come as you work towards your goal.
- Know what you want to accomplish. It’s much easier to accomplish a goal when you know exactly what you want to accomplish. Write down how you think you’ll feel when you reach your goal. Write down what you think reaching your goal will look like and sound like. This will help you keep your motivation up when the going gets tough.
- Get into the right mindset. The Atlantic says that many successful athletes practice mindfulness. Mindfulness, according to The Atlantic, is “the nonjudgmental focus of attention on an experience as it occurs.” This can help you get into “the zone” and focus on accomplishing your goals. Mindfulness is a great way to get into the right mindset before you begin work on any of your goals this year.
- Develop grit. The Huffington Post has a great post about developing grit. Grit is the endurance you need to keep going with your goals. The post says, “In order to make anything happen you’ve got to keep at it. Persist. Persevere. Stick to it. There will be days, months even, that you don’t want to. There will be setbacks that make you want to quit — guaranteed. But, by acting gritty, by pushing on even when you feel like throwing in the towel, you’ll actually get stronger.”
What are your resolutions? Let us know in the comments section. Thanks for reading our post!